Common Ink Cap

Hazard Information

Route: Ingestion     Plant Part: All

Scale: Low

Symptoms in conjunction with alcohol consumption, otherwise edible. Alcohol a few days before can cause rapid pulse, dizziness, vomiting, confusion.


Common Name(s)

Common Ink Cap

Latin Name

Coprinus atramentarius


Fungi. Greyish brown, shaped like a bell but flattens as it matures, becomes ragged and moist and gradually disintegrates into black inky drops containing the spores. The stalk is paler than the cap and grows to approx. 20 cm (8 ins.) high. 


Causes alarming symptoms when taken in conjunction with alcohol.


If no alcohol has been taken the Common Ink Cap is edible, but if alcohol has been consumed a few days before, to a few days after eating it, signs of poisoning can occur. Rapid pulse, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and  confusion are the common signs. This varies with each individuals sensitivity to this type of poisoning. 

Growing Season

Spring to late Autumn but can be found occasionally throughout the year.


Fields, gardens usually found in clumps around or near tree stumps.