Hazard Information

Route: Ingestion     Plant Part: All

Scale: High

Causes fatal poisoning or kidney damage. Symptoms delayed by 2-11 days. Usually involve vomiting, sweating, abdominal pains. Kidneys are the primary organ to be effected.

All orange or reddish brown fungi should be avoided.



Common Name(s)


Latin Name



Fungi. Although many of this species are edible a few are dangerously poisonous. The fungi are brownish orange with a cap 7.5 cm (3ins) across, with thick gills widely spaced below. The stalk is approx. 5 -10cm (2- 4ins) tall and sometimes with yellowish bands. Other poisonous species are rusty brown or tawny coloured with a strong smell of radish.


Very poisonous if eaten, have been mistaken for Chanterelle Mushrooms which are edible. 

NOTE All orange and reddish brown fungi should be avoided unless positively identified as edible.


Can cause fatal poisoning or kidney damage. A delay of between 2 and 17 days before any symptoms appear, these are usually vomiting, sweating, trembling, muscular and abdominal pains and diarrhoea. The kidneys are the main organs to be affected as the poisoning progresses liver function is also affected. In a couple of severe cases kidney transplants were required.  

Growing Season



Conifer woods often in damp mossy areas.