Hazard Information

Route: Ingestion     Plant Part: All

Scale: Low

Advisable not to eat any of the 87 different inocybes; only  a few are poisonous. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea.




Common Name(s)


Latin Name



Fungi. There are many different Inocybes, 87 in Britain. The convex cap is generally less than 5 cm (2 ins.) across and many are brownish but a few are pinkish or mauve.


There are 87 different Inocybes. Only a few are deadly poisonous but it is advisable not to eat any, as they are very much the same in appearance. Some smell of aniseed.


Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, blurred vision and dizziness are common symptoms of the poisoning of Inocybes, usually appearing within a few minutes of eating the fungi. A few fatal cases have been reported.

Growing Season

Autumn some species. Late Summer to late Autumn other species. 


Varies with different species but mainly mixed woodland usually Beech and chalky soils.